The holiday season is in full swing.
There’s shopping to do, gifts to wrap, decorations to put up, parties to attend, cookies to bake, holiday concerts to enjoy. And the list could go on.
It’s a very busy time of year, and that can mean STRESS! If you’re not careful, your activities can take over your life and leave you feeling depleted, exhausted, and resentful.
Here are my top five tips to avoid holiday overload:
1. You don’t have to do it all. You can say no. You can delegate. You can let it go. Really! When you set your priorities and let the rest go, you will have much more peace and calm in your life…during the holidays and beyond.
2. Take care of yourself. When you feel like you have absolutely no time for self-nurturing, that’s when you need it the most. If you’ve done step 1 above, you will be able to create some time just for yourself.
3. Make to-do lists. Put everything in writing. Not only will this help you to stay organized, it will also allow you to see more clearly what you can eliminate. And be sure to put self-care on your list.
4. Remember that it’s not your job to make everyone happy. Happiness is a choice that comes from within, not from an external source. We must each make our own decision to be happy…or not. If someone believes that you have disappointed them, that’s their choice too. It has nothing to do with you.
5. Remember the reason for the season. When you hold in your heart the true meaning of Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate) you will realize that all the other stuff is not that important. Love and peace and kindness are what the world needs. Not more presents.
So which of these steps are you going to take right now to relieve holiday stress?
My wish for you is that you will take a moment to reflect on what makes you happy. Focus on that and let the rest go.